If you want your dog to live a long and healthy life, it must eat and maintain a longevity and health promoting diet. This will provide happiness, joy, and a long lifespan. On the other hand, it can be very difficult choosing the right food for your favorite pooch. Freeze-dried dog food, which is also called dehydrated dog food, is dry food that pulls the moisture from the finished product.
Furthermore, as the drying process commences it takes place at very low temperatures so the bulk of the nutrients are preserved within the food. Even more important, canned food and kibble are typically cooked at very high temperatures that make these products a lot less health promoting and healthy. And as you can imagine, because they aren’t as healthy, they certainly aren’t as desirable.
In addition, by pulling out the bulk of the moisture, it keeps the product shelf stable so it lasts a lot longer and it requires fewer preservatives, which is certainly healthier for a young and growing pup. So, when you choose dehydrated dog food for your pooch, you’ll have a pet that’s much more content and happier because it doesn’t create major havoc within the digestive tract. It’s very easy to rehydrate this food before serving and afterward you simply give it to your dog. It will whet his or her appetite without costing you an arm and a leg which is always nice.
Of course, I need to tell you that if you are looking for the best overall pet food brand we’ve found, read this page. (It’s a newcomer for 2020!)
Stella and Chewy’s Dog Freeze-Dried Super Blends Mixer Duck/Chicken
As far as exceptional quality and great tasting products go, this offering from Stella and Chewy’s will never disappoint you. They believe highly in their product and only intend to ever deliver nutrient packed dried dog food that is similar to a home-cooked meal.
This excellent dog food is well worth the money because it is certified by the American Federation of Feed Control Officials. The company dominates its freeze-dried organic food niche and deserves excellent accolades because of the amazing products that they create.
They created a premium blend of dog food that’s loaded with well-balanced supplements including antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, and probiotics. There’s also lots of great tasting protein in the form of duck, turkey, goose, turkey liver, turkey gizzards, and ground duck bones. This food also contains a plentiful amount of minerals, vitamins, and fiber because of the healthy broccoli, apples, spinach, carrots, bananas, pumpkin, beets, seeds, and strawberries amongst other great tasting healthy additions. This flavorful kaleidoscope of healthy food is an essential option for canines looking to live a long and healthy life.Pros
- It’s an excellent choice for dogs of all breeds and ages, it helps canines maintain healthy fur, and it’s even great for dental support.
- It contains 90% meat that is jam packed with protein.
- The ingredients are grass fed and cage free because the company believes in cruelty free sourcing.
- Uses a minimal amount of ingredients to prevent intolerances and food allergies and also has added probiotics to aid in proper digestion.
- This dog food is entirely made in the United States of America and nowhere else.
- This product is free of all additives and artificial ingredients including fillers, gluten, coloring, preservatives, grains, antibiotics, and hormones.
- It’s easy to buy and even easier to serve.
- They prepare and process this food in small batches.
- Your dog might not appreciate this type of food in the beginning so introduce it to him or her gradually. Put a small amount of this food in its regular food each day and increase the quantity as your dog becomes accustomed to it.
- The price is definitely on the more expensive side. You only get six scoops of this food per bag and that will last you about a week.
- It doesn’t have infection fighting agents in it like other dog food brands.
Ziwi Peak Dig Air Dried Beef
This company has a catchphrase that most dog owners appreciate. They claim that their food is “born of love, crafted with goodness” which means they’ve created a freeze-dried beef dog food that is very similar to what your dog would eat while out in the wild. So, your carnivorous pet will feel extremely satisfied after eating this great tasting food.
The product is created in New Zealand, and it delivers a formula that has lots of healthy fat and protein including beef liver, New Zealand green mussel, and venison beef. Other ingredients include beef tripe, beef bone, beef lungs, and beef kidney. They’ve also supplemented the formula with lots of nutrients and vitamins including vitamin A, vitamin D, chicory derived insulin, and dried kelp among other fantastic ingredients.Pros
- It provides ample minerals that promote joint and bone health and it’s particularly good for older dogs with arthritis.
- It’s an excellent choice of food for dogs suffering from food allergies, skin issues, renal troubles, digestive problems, and weight control difficulties.
- The formula is nutrient dense and has received AAFCO approval.
- The food has a convenient shape.
- It is sourced from New Zealand using grass fed, free range, human grade meat that isn’t contaminated with hormones, antibiotics, or GMOs.
- They avoid using fillers and additives including soy, wheat, corn, animal meal, grain, growth agents, artificial ingredients, rendered meat, natural preservatives, and tocopherols.
- This formula contains no salt, low carbohydrates, high proteins and fats.
- They use a two-stage drying process that preserves the nutrients and simultaneously kills unwanted bacteria.
- This company responds within the hour to customer questions and concerns, quickly resolves problems, and provides excellent customer service.
- This food is expensive at $41.95 per bag.
- Some dogs may not prefer the texture of the new formula.
Sojo Dog Freeze-Dried Wild Salmon
Based out of Minneapolis in the United States, this family-run company created a fantastic line of freeze-dried dog food that has never had to be recalled for any reason. This product is reputable, trustworthy, it’s endorsed by veterinarians all around the country, and uses raw meat as a foundation for sustenance.
This food consists of a combination of many healthy ingredients including wild caught salmon which is loaded with omega-3 fatty acids. It has easy to digest whole eggs, fatty acid containing coconuts, cranberries, flaxseed, sweet potato, peas, celery root, kelp, and ginger. These substances are jam-packed with vitamins, minerals, and fiber.Pros
- Coconut contains medium chain triglycerides that fight back against chronic skin disorders and cognitive dysfunction syndrome in canines.
- They use a gentle freeze-drying process that preserves all enzymes, nutrients, and super foods.
- This food is prepared lovingly for all dog breeds and the ingredients never contain artificial preservatives, GMOs, sugar, salt, soy, or food coloring of any kind.
- It contains low-fat, high-protein food that make up 38 to 43% of the meal. Plus, it’s very low in calories.
- They do not use ingredients that are genetically modified and they never will.
- Preparing this product takes about 15 minutes or more.
- The company doesn’t share information about where they source their ingredients from.
- The company uses non-chelated minerals which are often found in low quality dog food.
Honest Kitchen Dog Grain Free Beef
This dog food is manufactured in a facility located in Illinois and the Honest Kitchen goes above and beyond to make sure that everyone knows they use ingredients that are of the highest quality. Their dog food is even fit for human consumption. The beef concoction is what started Honest Kitchen on their adventure and Lucy, the company’s cofounder, created this formula in her very own kitchen in her home in California. Even more important, this product is recommended by veterinarians, experienced pet owners, and health and food safety experts all around the globe. They use a variety of whole food ingredients and their facilities prepare all of their foods at standards that exceed regulations by seven times the normal levels.
They are totally transparent about the ingredients used in their product line and each one of them is made in the United States. This particular product is 514 calories per serving and it is available in a 16-pound bag. It contains 11 potatoes, 11 parsley bunches, one and a half bunches of kale, a mixture of papaya, honey, pumpkin, coconut, and flaxseed, 14 sweet potatoes, 14 cranberries, and beef that was grass fed and raised on a ranch. It also has loads of lycopene, carotene, antioxidants, vitamin A, vitamin B6, vitamin C, and a plethora of other vitamins and nutrients. It’s crammed with antioxidants that help improve the immune system, lower inflammation, and allow dogs to properly maintain a healthy metabolism.
They also promised to provide 31% protein, zinc, iron, and vitamin B12 which they deliver in spades within their beef. And by adding coconut to the mix they provide antifungal, antibacterial, and antiviral properties as well.Pros
- They offer sample products that are extremely low in price.
- A 10-pound box produces 40 pounds of fresh food.
- They use a minimal dehydration process that helps the food retain the bulk of its nutrients. And all of the ingredients are sourced in the United States and never from China.
- This formulation is excellent for active dogs. It provides better digestion by 80%, increased appetite by 64%, and higher energy levels by 79%. And this formula will improve your dog’s coat and skin by 78% and it improves weight by 60%.
- It’s easy to prepare and serve and it only takes three minutes. It’s portable and convenient to carry and easy to add to kibble.
- They do not use genetically modified organisms, preservatives, or other byproducts in this formula.
- The formula is gluten and grain free.
- This food is approved by the FDA and the AAFCO.
- This meal is low in carbohydrates, calories, and fat. And it’s high in phytonutrients and proteins.
- It’s an excellent choice for obese dogs looking to maintain a healthy weight and senior dogs as well.
- Humans and dogs have taste tested this formula and seem to enjoy the taste.
- The meat is free of antibiotics and hormones.
- The product reduces or eliminates gas and bloating.
- It isn’t a budget friendly option for larger dogs like the Great Danes.
- It’s relatively expensive.
- Many feel that potato is an inadequate filler that should be replaced with better ingredients.
- Some dogs experience hormonal imbalances from flaxseeds.
Grandma Lucy’s Dog Pure Grain Free Chicken Chickpea
Going all the way back to 1999, Grandma Lucy’s has made a name for itself in the pet food business. Its distribution channels cover thousands of stores throughout the United States and Canada. Their freeze-dried product is very different from those produced by other brands. It has a flaky texture, chunks of meat, and its uniquely different. All in all, it’s a plant-based dog food that possesses the ideal carbohydrate to protein to fat ratio.
Furthermore, its main source of carbohydrates is in the form of chickpeas. This substance has plenty of protein, natural flavor, folic acid, and ample amounts of dietary fiber. It’s also very low on the glycemic index. On the other hand, each one of the ingredients is part of the natural food pyramid and perfectly balanced for the health and well-being of your pup.
This product focuses on releasing energy slowly and delivers consistent and sustainable energy levels. It’s made up of simple ingredients so owners know everything that they feed to their dog in this formula.
The protein in this formula is highly digestible chicken that’s perfect for building lean muscle. It has bananas, flaxseeds, apples, cranberries, blueberries, and other important oils to help promote flawless skin. It’s also a great source of antioxidants, vitamins C and E, and other excellent ingredients like pectin which promotes colon and heart health.Pros
- 92% of the water content is removed which creates a preservative free, lightweight, and compact product.
- They are extremely transparent about manufacturing, sourcing and production with this company.
- The chicken doesn’t contain antibiotics, pesticides, hormones, or steroids.
- Preparing the food takes 3-5 minutes and it’s highly sensitive to moisture.
- They use low-level heat during the preparation process which preserves the nutrient concentration, aroma, and taste.
- The instructions are clear and easy to understand. Preparation and storage are a breeze.
- This recipe meets AAFCO guidelines and nutrient profiles.
- After purchasing your 12th bag, they will give you your 13th bag for free. This is also a budget friendly yet very healthy option.
- The packaging is moisture proof yet the product seals perfectly to retain freshness after the seal is broken.
- This product doesn’t contain GMOs, preservatives, byproducts, or grains of any kind.
- This is a family owned and operated company based out of Rancho Santa Margarita, California.
- After the food is soaked, it only lasts for 48 hours.
- They use garlic in this formula which is a controversial choice since it is associated with dog anemia.
- Pet owners claim their dogs suffer from reflux.
- Some consumers believe the addition of potato is a cheap filler.
- Some report that after eating the food doesn’t digest properly and causes weight loss.
- Many dogs aren’t full enough after eating this meal so you may have to increase serving sizes.
Grandma Lucy’s Dog Artisan Grain Free Bison
Are you trying to find a healthy dog food that’s perfect for your canine pal? Are you looking for a dehydrated food that dogs find tasty and appealing? Look no further than Grandma Lucy’s Artisan Grain Free Bison dog food. It’s tasty, easy to prepare, and all of the ingredients are sourced from the United States of America. This means you don’t have to worry about getting fake and unhealthy ingredients from countries like China that really don’t care about the health of your dog.
The ingredients in this product are all natural, healthy, and absolutely wonderful for your pet. And Grandma Lucy has an excellent reputation in this industry, which means you can expect nutrient packed products that are totally on the leading edge of nutrition.
Some of the most potent ingredients include cranberries, carrots, sweet potatoes, USDA approved bison, flax, potatoes, garlic, pumpkin, and celery to name a few of the more powerful offerings.Pros
- Dogs find the texture of this food very appealing because it is soft and flaky.
- The process of dehydration makes this product extremely portable because removing the water removes 80% of the weight of this food.
- You are not required to refrigerate this food and it can store at room temperature for extended lengths of time.
- The formula is very easy to prepare and it’s prepared in their California facility.
- This food does not contain any byproducts, preservatives, or grains and each one of the ingredients originates from the USA.
- This product doesn’t contain any hormones or antibiotics either, the ingredients are of the highest quality, and the bison is antibiotic and hormone free as well.
- This formula contains garlic. Many people feel that garlic is a poor choice because it could potentially lead to dog -related anemia.
- The formulation of this product also contains potatoes. Some people feel that potatoes and sweet potatoes are empty filler calories and nothing more.
- Because the formula is made up of many fruits and vegetables, some pet owners feel their dogs need a larger portion because they aren’t fully satisfied with their normal portion.
At this point, you should definitely understand the major benefits of feeding your dog dehydrated pet food. It preserves the nutrition perfectly, it’s durable, portable, and very shelf stable. It’s also a convenient way to feed your dog and the food is typically ready within a couple of minutes.
As a pet owner, it’s important to realize that some dogs do not immediately take to dehydrated pet food as quick as others. They may not like the texture or the taste right away so switching over to this food might involve a transition period. But ultimately, it’s a great choice for dogs. Just remember that because you’re adding water to rehydrate the food, your pup may require less drinking water once he or she regularly starts eating this food on a daily basis.